[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM photos are deleted on Commons

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sat Sep 17 07:17:30 UTC 2016

Hey Alexander,

Assuming good faith is always good - even if you have to work harder for
it. It makes the interactions more pleasant and the work more fun. So I
will always recommend to keep doing it - even if it goes against your
natural response.

The case where the names don't seem to match seems like a valid case to me
to ask questions, and this process is (unfortunately) the process being
used for that at Wikimedia Commons. It is uncomfortable, but it is what we
have to deal with. Because there are so many pictures, there is a bunch to
be expected.

I'm not going to pretend that the Wikimedia Commons community is always
easy or fun to work with - but their intentions are usually good. They are
very tough on copyright, and very suspicious. While these are some
disadvantages, it does allow us to use a lot of shared infrastructure, and
makes competitions like this one possible on an international scale. Please
do realise that the number of uploads typically raises with 30-100% during
Wiki Loves Monuments, and this puts some stress/strain on the reviewers
too.

Best,