[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM photos are deleted on Commons

Alexander Tsirlin altsirlin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:31:19 UTC 2016

> By the way, such images would not qualify for WLM anyway, since they
> are copyvios.
Such files are not copyvios. They are distributed under free license,
and the only exception is that they should not be used commercially.
These photos are actively used outside Commons, as you can see from the
fact that we have transferred to other projects as many as 1280 photos
last year and already 300 photos this year. Most of these photos are of
very high quality, and we are really proud that we got them. The
copyright on art objects will expire in 5-10-20 years (fair-use rules
apply during this period). We will still have these photos when
copyright expires, while on Commons the files are lost forever.

We struggle to collect and keep free and useful knowledge, while Commons
users actively struggle against it. This situation illustrates very
clearly what our goals are and what Commons goals are. I believe that we
should try to avoid any interaction with this deeply corrupted project.

An immediate repercussion of this situation is that I am not going to
spend any more of my time on anything related to Commons. In the last 3
years, I have put a lot of effort into writing categorization scripts
that processed about 10000 uncategorized images uploaded during WLM
every year. Now I will let User:Jcb, Nahid Sultan and other advocates of
file deletions to do this dirty and tedious job. Enough is enough.

On a longer run, we will try to organize Russian WLM completely outside
Commons. It is not imperative to collect free images on Commons. We will
find better place for them in other projects.

Sincerely,
Alexander