[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM photos are deleted on Commons

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 21:09:40 UTC 2016

On 14/09/16 21:31, Alexander Tsirlin wrote:
>> By the way, such images would not qualify for WLM anyway, since they
>> are copyvios.
> Such files are not copyvios. They are distributed under free license,
> and the only exception is that they should not be used commercially.
> These photos are actively used outside Commons, as you can see from the
> fact that we have transferred to other projects as many as 1280 photos
> last year and already 300 photos this year. Most of these photos are of
> very high quality, and we are really proud that we got them. The
> copyright on art objects will expire in 5-10-20 years (fair-use rules
> apply during this period). We will still have these photos when
> copyright expires, while on Commons the files are lost forever.

Note that on commons if you know when is the © going to expire, you can
list the images on the [[Category:Undelete in 20XX]] pages, so that they
can be undeleted (assuming the rest of the licensing is ok) when the
time comes.

You could alternatively create an undelete request in 20 years, but you
might forget about those photos by then 😉

Regards