[Wiki Loves Monuments] acute problems with the WLX jury tool during WLE-2016

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 05:11:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Lily <lilyofthewest.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> + Yuvi
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Alexander Tsirlin <altsirlin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ilya, Leila, and others,
>>
>> Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I am not programmer, and I
>> can't help you with the development. I only know that Tools had severe
>> problems in the past, and it may not be a very reliable solution because, if
>> something happens to the server, you won't have direct control and won't be
>> able to solve the problem quickly. I had enough trouble when map scripts for
>> Wikivoyage were running there.
>

> Yuvi, what kind of guarantee can we have for Tools' availability?

It has definitely been more stable than in the past by quite a margin,
I think. However, we do have some maintenance planned (not announced
yet) for end of Aug / beginning of September related to NFS that could
cause some instabilities. In light of that, I think the following is a
reasonable course of action to follow:

1. Identify critical 'must have' tools (not too many!)
2. Set them up in a labs instances that doesn't have any NFS (I can
help do this)
3. When we do the planned maintenance, re-route the tools to hit the
labs instances setup in (2) (I can help do this a well).

Now all we need is a *super* minimal (maybe 2?) of tools that should
be considered absolutely essential for September (I expect everyting
to be stable by October), so we can setup redundancies for that tool.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog