[Wiki Loves Monuments] acute problems with the WLX jury tool during WLE-2016

Lily lilyofthewest.wikimedia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 04:12:11 UTC 2016

+ Yuvi

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Alexander Tsirlin <altsirlin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Ilya, Leila, and others,
>
> Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I am not programmer, and I
> can't help you with the development. I only know that Tools had severe
> problems in the past, and it may not be a very reliable solution because,
> if something happens to the server, you won't have direct control and won't
> be able to solve the problem quickly. I had enough trouble when map scripts
> for Wikivoyage were running there.

Yuvi, what kind of guarantee can we have for Tools' availability?

> I have spoken to our jury members, and their request is two-fold. First,
> the jury tool should be fully operational and stable before the contest and
> not 1.5 months after its end. Second, it is highly desirable to start the
> grading already in September, because processing 20,000 photos in 25 days
> would be difficult.

Our goal is to have a functioning tool before the start of the contest.
This being said, I only can commit to a fully functioning jury tool
availability by October 1, not before that (again, we will do our best to
have the tool ready earlier, I just can't guarantee it at this point). The
assumption is that countries do not start the jury process until all photos
are in (though I understand that some countries start earlier).

> When I am writing about alternatives, I also mean that the grading can be
> organized with a very simple system of galleries and grading sheets that
> lacks the nice graphical interface, but works reliably and directly on
> Commons. And it perfectly fits our needs mentioned above. After our recent
> WLE experience I seriously think that such a primitive system will save us
> a lot of time and nerves. However, let's wait until the end of August and
> see where we are.

Yes, I understand. I can comment more on such a system after I finish this
round of researching all the tools available.

> From my side, I can test the system in the end of August and write my
> comments about its usability. It will also help me to decide whether we use
> WLX jury tool for WLM this year.

Perfect. Thank you! :)

Leila

> [...]
>> T141908. You can find them at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2005/.
>> Ilya and I will review the tasks at the end of this week and re-assess
>> the time they require.
>>
>> * Given the time crunch, Ilya and I discussed pursuing a plan B or an
>> alternative tool that the international team can work on while Ilya is
>> busy fixing bugs and improving WLX in the coming weeks. Based on this
>> conversation, I have started reaching out to the owners of the 5 other jury
>> tools. In the coming days, my attention will be focused on assessing where
>> these tools are at the moment, and figuring out if offering one of them as
>> an alternative makes sense. We also discussed the option of developing
>> another tool. Basically, all options are on the table with plan b at the
>> moment.
>>
>> * I will do my best to send updates to wikilovesmonuments public list
>> about the progress with regards to the jury tool. If you don't hear from me
>> and you want to hear more, please ask on the list, and I will get back to
>> you there. :)
>>
>> *Help needed*
>> We have a short time before the start of the contest, and I want us to
>> feel confident that we will have a solid tool for everyone when we start on
>> Sep. 1. We cannot do this alone though:
>> * If we are to adapt any of the current tools or create a new tool, we
>> are under a time crunch. If you can help with usability testing of the tool
>> we will work on under time constraints, please let me know off-list.
>> * We also may need help for further developing one of the current tools,
>> or creating a new one. If you have time to help with that under the current
>> time constraints, please email me off-list with information about the
>> languages you are comfortable with and maybe a GitHub repository of (a
>> sample of) your past work.
>>
>> And last but not least, I want to assure you that coming up with a
>> solution for the jury tool(s) that we can use more smoothly during this
>> year's WLM contest has a high priority for the international team. You have
>> our commitments here. :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Leila, on behalf of the WLM international team
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Lily <
>> <lilyofthewest.wikimedia at gmail.com>lilyofthewest.wikimedia at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alexander,
>>>
>>> Thank you for sharing your experience. We will review your comments in
>>> the WLM international team and will get back to you by 2016-08-03. In
>>> terms of the timelines, there is a general understanding in the team
>>> that we'd like to have a fully functional jury tool before WLM kicks
>>> off on Sep. 1. Otherwise, we will have many sleepless nights and create
>>> many more of those for others. It's our high priority to avoid that. :)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Leila, on behalf of WLM international team

User: LilyOfTheWest