[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:52:50 UTC 2015

Nicolas VIGNERON, 26/07/2015 18:41:
> Label are indeed unique but you can add as many alias as you want (see
> french label on https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3533061 ). You just need
> to choose a primary one, is it a problem ?

Yes it is a potential problem, think of name/label "Municipio" or
"Duomo". The label could be made unique by adding the name of the
institution somewhere, of course; no idea whether that's accepted,
surely it's ugly (and a maintenance burden).

> Why on Earth would someone like to tell nothing but the name ?
> A lot of properties are very easy to add (P31, P17, P1435, P131, etc.) ;
> plus, there is some semi-automatic tools to to that « en masse ».

The only thing we know about the items we can from institutions is that
they were given by the institution. If this gives us a P31 statement or
other for free, that might be something; otherwise, we have nothing to tell.

>     > 4) it must be as easy to add coordinates to multiple items as it is with an
>     > on-wiki table;
>
>     Why?
>

> Can't https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/quick_statements.php do
> that ? (QuickStatements is a wonderful tool but I struggle a little to
> use it to its full extent).

Sounds unlikely. The user would need to produce a list of
"Q#\tName\tP#\t", then manually enter the coordinates, then remove the
name with a regex, then paste into the interface. Even my
wikibase_csv.py script is easier than that. :)
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/166629/

On a wiki table, you just edit the whole table at once. If the thing was
moved to Wikidata, we'd probably need some ad hoc tool to add
coordinates to a list of items, if there isn't one yet.

Nemo