[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Nicolas VIGNERON vigneron.nicolas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:41:29 UTC 2015

> On 26 July 2015 at 16:34, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A way can be found, but there are multiple issues to solve:
> > 1) the name of the object may not be unique hence we may be unable to
> > satisfy Wikidata requirements on label/description uniqueness,
>
> Wikidata does not require unique names.

Label are indeed unique but you can add as many alias as you want (see
french label on https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3533061 ). You just need to
choose a primary one, is it a problem ?

> > 3) it must be fine to create items that contain no information other than
> > the name;
>
> No, this is not OK (and they may be deleted); but nor is it necessary.

Why on Earth would someone like to tell nothing but the name ?
A lot of properties are very easy to add (P31, P17, P1435, P131, etc.) ;
plus, there is some semi-automatic tools to to that « en masse ».

>  > 4) it must be as easy to add coordinates to multiple items as it is
> with an
> > on-wiki table;
>
> Why?

Can't https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/quick_statements.php do that
? (QuickStatements is a wonderful tool but I struggle a little to use it to
its full extent).