[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Nicolas VIGNERON vigneron.nicolas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:26:04 UTC 2015

> Hi,
>
> In Ukraine, we have two problems Wikidata is not able to deal so far:
>
> 1) Our monument IDs are the ones we invent ourselves. We have 4 types of
> monuments times 27 regions (+1 nationwide list), some of these lists have
> identifiers, some not. Identifiers are not unique even within the same
> list, e.g. one list has a few monuments with identifier "1", and in total
> we have several dozens monuments with identifier "1". Thus our governmental
> IDs are pretty useless, but does Wikidata accept original IDs created by
> Wikimedians?

Oo.
That's gonna be complex. Not sure how to deal with that. You can ask on
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal for a property «
Wiki monument ID » for creation but not sure if it will be accepted (in
fact, pretty sure it won't but I think it's worth the try).

2) Many of our monuments do not have precise addresses like "city, street,
> house number", but something like descriptions, e.g. "1.2 km north of the
> railway station, 500 m east of the road to (some village), 300 m west of
> the cemetery"  or "in the centre of the village, in the park behind the
> shop". Is there a way to describe this on Wikidata?

It is a bit exotic but there will be no problem to use P969 for that :
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P969 (it's a string type so you can
put whatever you want).

> In addition, we would be glad to know if there are any tools to migrate
> 70,000+ items to Wikidata, as doing this manually would be probably
> impossible... If not, we would be still interested in old good erfgoedbot
> who  did its job pretty well in our case.

Same question for France.
We have already a lot of monuments in Wikidata but not all of them
(generally, all monuments with an article on fr.wp have an item on
wikidata).
We have a project on Wikidata :
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_France/Monuments_historiques
but nobody there has a high wikidata-fu / technic skills.

Cdlt, ~nicolas