[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 11:47:47 UTC 2015

Personally I see several challenges but also opportunities for WLM.

Technically this is a "change" to be managed. If it is managed in a
right manner, it could open a new season for WLM.

As I know the data of monuments are not homogeneous and this is a risk
for migrating data to a dedicated repository to Wikidata.

It has been a problem for the first WLM contests too.

IMHO the time is short,  and I see as a dream the possibility to run an
international contest AND to manage the import in WIkidata.

On 26.07.2015 08:42, Jane Darnell wrote:
> Hi all,
> I guess everyoe knows by now that the erfgoedbot will no longer work.
> Meanwhile, we should be migrating the entire infrastructure to
> Wikidata to enable the next generation of tooling. So for example, if
> your country has legislation regarding the protection of industrial
> monuments, then I expect that all large industrial complexes (such as
> the first airport, or the first steam-powered mill complex, or
> something like that) should reflect this infrastructure. So such
> wikipedia articles should be labelled " instance of"  <the name of
> your identifier used in WLM>. This identifier of the form " German
> industrial heritage site", aka "Industriedenkmal
> <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industriedenkmal>"  should be a
> subclass of Industrial Heritage Site, because it is not equivalent to
> industrial heritage sites anywhere else in the world. I see that this
> is not reflected yet in Q1569871
>
> I didn't see this discussion anywhere and I tried to get this
> infrastructure started before the birth of Wikidata, but we really
> should finish the job now.
> Jane

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH