[Wiki Loves Monuments] Tech question: 2 WLM templates of different country contests on same file

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 21:37:31 UTC 2013

On 16/09/13 16:35, Aleksey Chalabyan wrote:
> Dear all, and especially those who provide us with tools for running WLM
> contest.
>
> If on same page we have 2 templates, from different country contest,
> with different ID, do you think scripts/bot may run into issue?
>
> Will those tools successfully process both of templates, assign
> necessary categories, show up correctly in counters, voting tools, etc?
>
> Example of such image is:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%D4%B1%D5%B4%D5%A1%D6%80%D5%A1%D5%BD%D5%AB_%D5%BE%D5%A1%D5%B6%D6%84,_%D5%BE%D5%A1%D5%B6%D6%84%D5%A1%D5%B5%D5%AB%D5%B6_%D5%B0%D5%A1%D5%B4%D5%A1%D5%AC%D5%AB%D6%80_....jpg
>
> Thanks beforehand,
> Xelgen

The tools at http://toolserver.org/~platonides/wlm2013/ will consider
only the first template.
Last year the database was designed to support a second country, but it
was so exceptional that it wasn't implemented. I think we identified a
single case of multicountry monumentness before the contest, plus
perhaps a couple more found later for some rivers.

I can easily add detection of multiple countries, the trickiness starts
when querying it, which not only results in more complex checks for the
database, but it's not even clear how it should be defined: What should
be the answer for "How many images have am and az together?" Should
Ամարասի_վանք,_վանքային_համալիր_....jpg be counted once (as for "How many
images are in total?") or be the sum of images of both countries?
How to count the number of countries in which a user did photos, etc.

If the problem is limited to monuments in Azerbaijan and Armenia
contests, it may be simpler for the bot to detect that case and
internally map those images to an am+az pseudo-country.

PS: I agree with Multichill, renaming a monument template (or adding new
variants such as redirects to it) will make the bot to suddenly not
detect the monument identifier.