[Wiki Loves Monuments] Autofill during upload

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Sep 5 07:07:48 UTC 2013

On 05.09.2013 08:46, Nicolas VIGNERON wrote:
> In France, it's always the center of the « monument » (could be a
> building or something else, definition of « monument » could be
> strange in strange ; in the cases we didn't find the precise location,
> there is no coordinates).
>
> +1 : {{object location dec}} would be far better than {{location
> dec}}.
>
> Cdlt, ~nicolas

I assume this is how most countries operate, at least from my
experience. The problem with Russia is that the database contains no
coordinates. Instead of opting for keeping them blank and add manually
where available (for example, from Wikipedia articles or existing tagged
photos or manually) they organized it by the nearest big city. For
example, for France it would mean that all monuments to which
Montpellier is closer than any other center of a department would get
identical coordinates corresponding to the center of Montpellier.
Whereas it arguably helps to make a map of monuments, it is definitely
counterproductive when these coordinates start to get to the images.

Cheers
Yaroslav