[Wiki Loves Monuments] Autofill during upload

Nicolas VIGNERON vigneron.nicolas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 07:16:45 UTC 2013

> I assume this is how most countries operate, at least from my experience.
> The problem with Russia is that the database contains no coordinates.
> Instead of opting for keeping them blank and add manually where available
> (for example, from Wikipedia articles or existing tagged photos or manually)
> they organized it by the nearest big city. For example, for France it would
> mean that all monuments to which Montpellier is closer than any other center
> of a department would get identical coordinates corresponding to the center
> of Montpellier. Whereas it arguably helps to make a map of monuments, it is
> definitely counterproductive when these coordinates start to get to the
> images.
>

> Cheers
> Yaroslav

There is no coordinates in the french official database. It was all
geolocate manually on Wikipedia (but we have some tools to help ; plus
it's probably easier in French since the municipalities are small).
We decided not to put « approximate » coordinates because it's not
possible to distinguish after if the coordinate are approximate or
not…

Cdlt, ~nicolas