[Wiki Loves Monuments] Checklist for the end of submissions? Misc

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Fri Sep 28 12:21:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:01:13 +0200, Tomasz W. Kozłowski wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> thanks for the questions; this is a reply to your original e-mail, so
> I might have missed some of the things brought up by other people.
>
> 1. As far as I see, the "buttons", as you call them -- I guess that
> you mean those "Upload photo" links visible on the lists on Wikipedia
> -- are not time-sensitive. To remove them from the lists would
> require
> some manual work (e.g. editing the template on every Wikipedia that
> uses them).
>
> However, I don't think we need to do that at all; we can keep those
> buttons there, just making sure that pictures will not be uploaded to
> "our" categories after the end of the competition. Leaving the upload
> links on the lists could possibly lead people to upload more pictures
> during the year; I am aware that this might have a negative level on
> the number of pictures uploaded next year, but this isn't our goal,
> is
> it?

Hi Tomasz,

just one remark. Keeping the buttons after October 1 in English
Wikipedia does not seem to be an option. They are somehow considered as
placeholders by many users, and placeholders were outlawed several years
ago by an RFC. This time, it was an animated discussion on ANI (or was
it AN) in the end of August, and the proposal was to remove the buttons
from all the lists. Eventually, it was closed, and the buttons kept for
September, but keeping the buttons there permanently is impossible.

Cheers
Yaroslav