[Wiki Loves Monuments] How are the adm1 "translated" names obtained?

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:22:17 UTC 2012

2012/9/11 Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org>:
> Hi Strainu,
>
> There is some documentation about this here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Data_issues
>
> Briefly, we've taken a datadump of ISO-3166-2 data from commondatahub.org,
> which we use to provide the mapping from ISO-3166-2 region codes to their
> English names. We have put together a script that then takes all of those
> names and attempts to auto-'translate' them by checking the name against the
> interwiki language links API.
>
> We can easily override the automatic 'translations' that we have. If you'd
> like to do it yourself, you should fork the repository on github, follow the
> instructions in the readme file, and submit a pull request:
> https://github.com/awjrichards/WLM-ISO-3166-2
>
> Alternatively, you can file a bug in bugzilla with a mapping of ISO-3166-2
> region codes to regional names, and we can get the translations added when
> we are able.
>
> All of the WMF staff will be busy in our annual all-staff meetings for the
> rest of the week, so forgive us if we are unable to respond as quickly as
> usual.
>
> Thanks!
> Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the response. Since the only Android device I have access
to is a Kindle, which does not support your application, I need a
little more guidance.

Where are those names used in the application? Would it make more
sense to have them translated as "COUNTY_NAME" or "COUNTY_NAME
county"? A screenshot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Strainu