[Wiki Loves Monuments] Minor API improvement

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 21:20:57 UTC 2012

On 07/09/12 23:54, Arthur Richards wrote:
> I also think Platonides naming suggestion is a good one, however it is
> preferable to solve this problem at the data level (either in the
> monument lists to later get picked up in the db, or just a hack in the
> db generation scripts), that way it is a universal fix for all app
> users. If we hack a band-aid fix into the app, it would only be
> available for folks using the latest version of the app, which means
> there may continue to be strange errors, etc for folks on outdated app
> versions. Solving this at the data level means every user (regardless of
> app version) would see the updated data.

IMHO the db should contain the real data. You can of course modify what
wlm.wikimedia.org provides (triggered by an old User-Agent?), you would
be perverting the layer functionality, though.
Also note that there are I18N issues there, since you'd want to inject
the message in a dozen languages depending on the list. Its place is the
UI, affected like other translations. :/