[Wiki Loves Monuments] Minor API improvement

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 7 21:54:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Philip Chang <pchang at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> While we sort out the bigger issue, meaning decide what to do, could
> someone fix Andre's problem?
>
> I am not sure if having no name means having no coordinates. If
> coordinates exist, we should follow Platonides' suggestion about the name
> ( "Unknown monument with id <id>"), which sounds like something we could do
> in the app.
>
> Phil

I also think Platonides naming suggestion is a good one, however it is
preferable to solve this problem at the data level (either in the monument
lists to later get picked up in the db, or just a hack in the db generation
scripts), that way it is a universal fix for all app users. If we hack a
band-aid fix into the app, it would only be available for folks using the
latest version of the app, which means there may continue to be strange
errors, etc for folks on outdated app versions. Solving this at the data
level means every user (regardless of app version) would see the updated
data.

--
Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile