[Wiki Loves Monuments] Minor API improvement

Philip Chang pchang at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 7 21:43:07 UTC 2012

While we sort out the bigger issue, meaning decide what to do, could
someone fix Andre's problem?

I am not sure if having no name means having no coordinates. If coordinates
exist, we should follow Platonides' suggestion about the name ( "Unknown
monument with id <id>"), which sounds like something we could do in the app.

Phil

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Platonides <platonides at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/09/12 19:29, Arthur Richards wrote:
> >>From a quick search through the monument database, there appear to be
> > ~165k monuments with no name:
> (...)
> > All but one of those monuments has data in the 'field':
> > mysql> select count(*) from monuments_all where name='' and source='';
> > +----------+
> > | count(*) |
> > +----------+
> > |        1 |
> > +----------+
>
> Source is the wikipedia page. Of course all monuments have one, but that
> isn't too useful.
>
> That odd monument is in country India, in English, adm1 IN-UP. No other
> data.
>

> > If it's too difficult to otherwise determine a name for the monument,
> > perhaps the data could be updated to construct a name based off of the
> > 'title' field in the source, perhaps with an incremented digit appended
> > to it. For instance:
> >
> http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Liste_der_denkmalgeschützten_Objekte_in_Sedliská&redirect=no&useskin=monobook&oldid=105722097
> > could become:
> > Liste der denkmalgeschützten Objekte in Sedliská - 01
> >
> > Or something like that. Rather than hack something into the android app
> > for this, I recommend that this happen in the database itself. That way
> > everyone using the app, including older versions of the app, would be
> > able to see the updated monuments.
>
> Rather than the full page title, you'd probably want something like
> "Sedliská - Unnamed 01" or so. But it seems something better done in the
> local lists than blindly at the db.
>

> The problem is that sometimes the official lists from the government
> show a monument but not the name. So you know that there's some monument
> in that city, the id it should have, but absolutely no idea of what it
> is (of course coordinates are even less likely to appear).
> And it'd be very hard to find it out. I think that those monuments
> should simply not be displayed by the app (by default, at least).
>
> They are of interest for the wikipedia lists, but quite useless for WLM.
> I don't think anyone could come with a photo for them.
>
> If they do have an id (all but that odd Indian entry do), another option
> would be to use "Unknown monument with id <id>" as name.

Phil Inje Chang
Product Manager, Mobile
Wikimedia Foundation
415-812-0854 m