[Wiki Loves Monuments] Minor API improvement

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 21:11:34 UTC 2012

On 07/09/12 19:29, Arthur Richards wrote:
>>From a quick search through the monument database, there appear to be
> ~165k monuments with no name:
(...)
> All but one of those monuments has data in the 'field':
> mysql> select count(*) from monuments_all where name='' and source='';
> +----------+
> | count(*) |
> +----------+
> |        1 |
> +----------+

Source is the wikipedia page. Of course all monuments have one, but that
isn't too useful.

That odd monument is in country India, in English, adm1 IN-UP. No other
data.

> If it's too difficult to otherwise determine a name for the monument,
> perhaps the data could be updated to construct a name based off of the
> 'title' field in the source, perhaps with an incremented digit appended
> to it. For instance:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Liste_der_denkmalgeschützten_Objekte_in_Sedliská&redirect=no&useskin=monobook&oldid=105722097
> could become:
> Liste der denkmalgeschützten Objekte in Sedliská - 01
>
> Or something like that. Rather than hack something into the android app
> for this, I recommend that this happen in the database itself. That way
> everyone using the app, including older versions of the app, would be
> able to see the updated monuments.

Rather than the full page title, you'd probably want something like
"Sedliská - Unnamed 01" or so. But it seems something better done in the
local lists than blindly at the db.

The problem is that sometimes the official lists from the government
show a monument but not the name. So you know that there's some monument
in that city, the id it should have, but absolutely no idea of what it
is (of course coordinates are even less likely to appear).
And it'd be very hard to find it out. I think that those monuments
should simply not be displayed by the app (by default, at least).

They are of interest for the wikipedia lists, but quite useless for WLM.
I don't think anyone could come with a photo for them.

If they do have an id (all but that odd Indian entry do), another option
would be to use "Unknown monument with id <id>" as name.