[Wiki Loves Monuments] determining how many photos used in articles

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Oct 31 21:13:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:06:57 +0000, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> Also is it possible to create lists of wikipedia articles without
> images that are about monuments that now have images on Commons?
>
> In a few weeks Im running another workshop for donors who are willing
> to give some time to Wikipedia, and the more straightforward I can
> make image adding the more successful the event will be, Ive already
> got a list of articles in the UK that we probably have images for,
> but
> a list of monuments that we definitely have images for would be
> better.
>
> WSC

This I guess can be done pretty easily since all participating
countries (except for Russia) have lists of monuments, and the progress
of adding them to the list is monitored on Commons,

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Monuments_database/Statistics

We can safely assume that in 99% of the cases if the picture is on the
list and a separate dedicated article exists then the picture is also in
the article. The remaining 1% are the articles which for whatever reason
are not linked from the lists.

How many articles we have can be determined by the number of links from
the lists, but this probably can not be done without a bot.

Cheers
Yaroslav