[Wiki Loves Monuments] Community voting and jury process.

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 21:13:59 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Bas vb <basvb_wikipedia at live.nl> wrote:

>  I think it is not possible to get good feedback from the public when you
> provide them a to big list, nobody is going to watch all the pictures, and
> I also don't think somebody is going to watch a random part. If you want to
> get the public involved, maybe the best Idea is to let a jury pick the top
> 20-50 and let the public vote on those 50 to decide on the order. Or you
> can make a preselection of around 500 pictures, where people can pick the
> best, and then you send a list of 50 to the jury. But I think it will be
> hard to get people from the public to watch lots of pictures, so you will
> maybe get a lot of pictures with 1 or 2 votes (maybe even the photographer
> voting on his own best view.

The other option we were thinking is having people nominate photos.  These
could be self-nominations or nominating others' photos.

Not sure how well that would work either, and suspect we might end up doing
a bit of nominating ourselves.  We do want some variety and geographic
representation in the final pool.

Cheers,
Katie

> I believe the Russians provided a list of around 100 pictures you could
> vote on. Then they had 10 different prices, with one of them being the
> publics nr. 1. but I'm not sure, somebody should confirm.
>
> Mvg,
>
> Bas
>
> ------------------------------
> From: mroth at wikimedia.org
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:39:51 -0700
> To: wikilovesmonuments at lists.wikimedia.org
> Subject: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Community voting and jury process.
>

> Hi all,
> Per Lodewijk's suggestion, I'm bringing this to the larger list.
>
> WLM-US organizers have been discussing the value of setting up a community
> voting process on-wiki for the initial selection of the top 500 or so
> photos in the WLM-US pool, which we will then send to the judges (though
> we're thinking it would be wise to have the judges also surface photos they
> like  that don't make the top 500). Can anyone on this list (particularly
> Russian organizers) give us feedback on what works well and what does not
> work well?
>
> Did you reach out to Commons contributors who had helped with any of the
> Featured Picture selection or Picture of the Year voting for feedback? A
> few of those people we've identified live in the U.S., so we're going to
> reach out to the relevant individuals. We've also been discussing how to
> incorporate the WikiProject on English WP that deals with our monuments
> (WP:NRHP) to try to get help from them. We're thinking of it as a group of
> ambassadors or captains who can help us alleviate some of the challenge for
> the jury of sorting thousands of photos.
>
> Any feedback would be very welcome.
>
> thanks,
> Matthew

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012