[Wiki Loves Monuments] monuments in cameroon, what to do if there is no "id"

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Tue Jul 24 20:21:26 UTC 2012

Hi Rupert,

Op 23-7-2012 18:56, rupert THURNER schreef:
> a second related question: in case there is no reliable "id", is it
> allowed to create one for wikipedia?
I would like to focus on your second question. Some countries are lucky
and have strong id's to identify monuments. We know that the number is
unique and widely usable. Rijksmonumenten in the Netherlands and NRHP in
the USA are examples of this.
For some countries it's a bit more complicated. They have local id's for
a certain area. He're we can use prefixes. For example for some parts of
Belgium it's a location code + a local id. The end result is good for
what we're doing.
Sometimes it's even more difficult than you have to be creative. What
can we use to? Date of listing? The identifier of the decree? Maybe
combine it with a location code?

If all fails you end up with creating id's yourself. That's something I
would like to avoid.

Maarten