[Wiki Loves Monuments] monuments in cameroon, what to do if there is no "id"

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Tue Jul 24 13:10:31 UTC 2012

Hi Rupert,

thanks for your mail and interest in Cameroon. While I have no contacts in
Cameroon (I couldn't find any of our current international partners with
good contacts there either) I did find this ICOMOS 2002 report:
http://www.international.icomos.org/risk/2002/cameroon2002.htm  which
states that there is no decent monument policy in Cameroon.

I haven't been able to idenfity any list besides the UNESCO identified list
- which is usually too small to organize a real photo contest on. The
reason we can't make up our own lists is because we want the lists to
remain on Wikipedia and that way the photos too. Having the photos on
Wikipedia is a good motivator for many people to participate. Maybe in the
case of Cameroon it would be wiser to consider other topics to photograph
than officially recognized monuments. It wouldn't be part of Wiki Loves
Monuments, but it could still learn from the lessons we presented which are
often also valid for other topics.

Lodewijk