[Wiki Loves Monuments] FoP and monuments

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 13:40:40 UTC 2012

On 21/07/12 14:33, Strainu wrote:
>> Create jail.wikimedia.org ?
>
> Creating it under the WMF umbrella is unlikely, as the WMF only
> supports free content.
>
> However, I have been thinking for a while about creating a NC image
> wiki, as most countries allow non-commercial use of such images. If I
> has the slightest sign that the WMF would approve of its use as 3rd
> party image source in Wikipedias, I would start the project tomorrow.
>
> Strainu

I'm unsure about that. If wikipedias were going to use it, the WMF would
probably want to host a local mirror anyway.

Each interested wikipedia would have to approve a nonfree use rationale
guideline, which allowed them to use a subset of that wiki files (eg.
those which are free on their countries but not on US).
It would also be a very appropiate solution for the troubles generated
by the URAA producing retroactive copyright.

For using those PD-Non-US images, I guess WMF would still require a Fair
Use rationale for each of the used images, maybe some general «low-res
usage in educational articles» (ie. main-ns) could pass, I'm not sure.

Also see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/Commons_Abroad_and_related_ideas