[Wiki Loves Monuments] FoP and monuments

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:37:03 UTC 2012

2012/7/21 Platonides <platonides at gmail.com>:
> On 21/07/12 14:33, Strainu wrote:
>>> Create jail.wikimedia.org ?
>>
>> Creating it under the WMF umbrella is unlikely, as the WMF only
>> supports free content.
>>
>> However, I have been thinking for a while about creating a NC image
>> wiki, as most countries allow non-commercial use of such images. If I
>> has the slightest sign that the WMF would approve of its use as 3rd
>> party image source in Wikipedias, I would start the project tomorrow.
>>
>> Strainu
>
> I'm unsure about that. If wikipedias were going to use it, the WMF would
> probably want to host a local mirror anyway.

And hence my doubt over the actual approval of such a project. It
could be worth bringing it up in another forum, though, I'm just not
sure where.

> Each interested wikipedia would have to approve a nonfree use rationale
> guideline, which allowed them to use a subset of that wiki files (eg.
> those which are free on their countries but not on US).

With regards to FOP, at least for buildings, it would be the other way
around: free in the US and non-free in their country. That will
probably make it somewhat more acceptable to the legal department

> It would also be a very appropiate solution for the troubles generated
> by the URAA producing retroactive copyright.
>
> For using those PD-Non-US images, I guess WMF would still require a Fair
> Use rationale for each of the used images, maybe some general «low-res
> usage in educational articles» (ie. main-ns) could pass, I'm not sure.
>
> Also see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/Commons_Abroad_and_related_ideas

Nice, I didn't know about it. It's curious that this RFC is somewhat
the opposite of
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Disable_local_uploads_on_smaller_wikis

Strainu