[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM merchandise

Cyriel Brusse cyriel at wmnederland.nl
Thu Jul 19 21:58:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

2012/7/19 Platonides <platonides at gmail.com>

> On 19/07/12 14:40, Karthik Nadar wrote:
>
> Lol. I took me a while to realise the meaning. I was thinking "what does
> he want to put in capital letters?" xD

Haha,  I even went to IRC to make sure I wasn't misreading the reply ;-).

> > Hi Cyriel, no problem. Wanted to check if the merchandise is to be
> > gifted to all participants and volunteers, or only volunteers?
>
> How much do you want to take in your country? You will get thousands of
> participants...
> I wouldn't take just for people organising it, also for the events you
> may do to promote WLM, and for giving out (or selling) when doing a Wiki
> takes, including the prizes.

It's all up to you who you ant to give it to: remember though that you will
be asked to pay your part in the production costs: WMF will only be taking
care for the costs of shipping to your country.
I can image that you, for instance, want to order t-shirts for the
volunteers (recognizable at the event and a nice
thank-you-for-being-a-volunteer)  and as many pens, stickers and buttons as
you think people will be attending you activities.

The selling of merchandise on the other hand is a touchy subject: be aware
that there are rules about what you are and are not allowed to do with
Wikimedia-merchandise. I don't think the WLM-logo is actually branded by
the WMF yet and therefore does not fall under the Trademark Policy, but I
think "*You may make t-shirts, desktop wallpaper, or baseball caps with
Wikimedia Marks on them, though only for yourself, your friends (meaning
people from whom you don't receive anything of value in return), and donors
and other Chapter or Foundation supporters, so long as you are giving them
away rather than selling them.
*<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_policy#Wikimedia_Marks_and_Merchandise>"
is still a nice one to use as a guideline.

> Small material can be reused after the contest, of course.

Vriendelijke groet,
Cyriel