[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM merchandise

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 23:19:18 UTC 2012

On 19/07/12 23:58, Cyriel Brusse wrote:
> It's all up to you who you ant to give it to: remember though that you
> will be asked to pay your part in the production costs: WMF will only be
> taking care for the costs of shipping to your country.
> I can image that you, for instance, want to order t-shirts for the
> volunteers (recognizable at the event and a nice
> thank-you-for-being-a-volunteer)  and as many pens, stickers and buttons
> as you think people will be attending you activities.

> I don't think the WLM-logo is actually
> branded by the WMF yet and therefore does not fall under the Trademark
> Policy,

The logo is CC-BY-SA 3.0 + GFDL, with a "no name listing required for
WLM" exception (note you'd still need to provide the license!).
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:LUSITANA_WLM_2011_d.svg

> The selling of merchandise on the other hand is a touchy subject: be
> aware that there are rules about what you are and are not allowed to do
> with Wikimedia-merchandise. I think "/You may make t-shirts, desktop wallpaper, or
> baseball caps with Wikimedia Marks on them, though only for yourself,
> your friends (meaning people from whom you don't receive anything of
> value in return), and donors and other Chapter or Foundation supporters,
> so long as you are giving them away rather than selling them. /
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_policy#Wikimedia_Marks_and_Merchandise>"
> is still a nice one to use as a guideline.

Good point. I was considering a price for paying the production costs,
not for getting rich, but it seems that wouldn't be allowed for a WMF
trademark either. It might be allowed if the selling entity were a
chapter, though. You'd need to check the agreement.

Nasty copyright giving us troubles even when we're having fun making
t-shirts :)