[Wiki Loves Monuments] Flickr wins in Andorra and Spain

Vicenç Riullop vriullop at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 08:57:06 UTC 2011

The Andorran-Catalan
jury has decided about the results of Andorra and the special local prizes for
Catalonia. The final winners will be announced next 10th November at Palau Moja
in Barcelona, a registered monument itself. Of course, everybody is welcome.
I'll send a blog post soon the day after.

The ten finalists of Andorra can be found at http://www.wikilovesmonuments.cat/2011/11/03/finalistes-dandorra/ without any special order.

Worth mentioning that more than a half of the finalists, both in Andorra and Catalonia, are photos submitted in the Flickr group. Two out of three first prizes of Spain are also from Flickr. We created two groups, in Spanish and Catalan, and additionally a WLM group in Panoramio. In total there are almost 3,500 photos and 470 members. That is, for example, 10% of submissions of Andorra, 28% of Catalonia and 40% of the Balearic Islands. It is really a remarkable amount but it is even more notable that they are among the most valued photos.

We have analyzed most notable Flickr participants. Most of them changed the license of their photos specially for the contest. Some users not only released their old photos on Flickr but they registered an account on Commons to upload new ones for the contest. We tried to explain what a free license means, honestly. Some users rejected because the condition of commercial use, but it seems we succeeded with others motivating their participation with personal contact via email solving their doubts. A key point was the promotion made by the Catalan heritage institution that uses Flickr as a gallery for ongoing expositions and activities and they joined the WLM group, but with no submissions. We have been really surprised and now I remember one of the Dutch lemmas: "use existing channels".

http://www.flickr.com/groups/wikilovesmonumentscat/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/wikilmes/
http://www.panoramio.com/group/17818/

Vicenç