[Translators-l] How should I translate "the Board"?

Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder ssnyder at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 26 18:31:53 UTC 2017

(1)  I am not a lawyer, so you should read the next statement at your own
risk.

(2)  In Florida (USA) law (which I believe is the relevant state), all
corporations, including all non-profit corporations,[*] have a "board of
directors".  It is the same term used for for-profit corporations such as
Apple, Inc. or Walmart, Inc.  "Board of trustees" is treated as an exact
synonym.

As a shortcut, you could find out what the committee in charge of large,
independent non-profit organizations in your area are called.  The WMF's
Board of Trustees should probably be called the same thing as the group
that controls, say, Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders.

[*] Almost all non-profit organizations in the United States are
corporations.  It's very easy to create a corporation here.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 9:39 AM Lena Traer <ltraer at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Would you say that the Board of Trustees at WMF has the same role as the
> traditional Board of Directors? If that is the case, "Conseil
> d'administration" likely is most appropriate translation.
>
> Spanish: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consejo_de_administraci%C3%B3n
> Italian: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consiglio_di_amministrazione
>
> In Russian, the "board" is also translated as "council". However, "Board
> of Directors" and "Board of Trustees" translate slightly differently. I
> think non-profit organizations are likely to use "Board of Trustees"
> whereas for-profit corporations use "Board of Directors".
>
> My two cents. Thanks,
> Lena
>

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Guillaume Paumier <gpaumier at wikimedia.org
> > wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It is indeed referring to the Board of Trustees. Another common
> translation that I've seen for "Board" in French is "Conseil
> d'administration".
>
> Le 25 janv. 2017 06:08, "mathieu stumpf guntz" <
> psychoslave at culture-libre.org> a écrit :
>
> I'm working on this:
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=agg-2017_Wikimedia_movement_strategy_process&language=eo&filter=%21translated&action=translate
>
> where "Board" is a recurring term.
>
> I guess that it is referring to the board of trustees
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_of_trustees>. Am I wrong?
>
> If not, in the previous link, translations are rather parse in their
> meaning (as far as I can say):
>
>    - Kuratorium
>    - Consejo directivo
>    - Zuzendaritza Batzordea
>    - Comité des sages
>    - Rada Powiernicza
>    - Conselho Diretivo
>
> I translated "trustees" it in Esperanto to "kuratoro" (you find the same
> roots in the German translation), and "board of trustees" as "kuratoraro"
> (group of "kuratoro"), but "board" alone as "estraro" (group of
> leader/boss/chief).
>
> Any comment is welcome.

Sherry Snyder (WhatamIdoing)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation