[Translators-l] How should I translate "the Board"?

Lena Traer ltraer at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 26 17:38:50 UTC 2017

Hi Guillaume,

Would you say that the Board of Trustees at WMF has the same role as the
traditional Board of Directors? If that is the case, "Conseil
d'administration" likely is most appropriate translation.

Spanish: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consejo_de_administraci%C3%B3n
Italian: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consiglio_di_amministrazione

In Russian, the "board" is also translated as "council". However, "Board of
Directors" and "Board of Trustees" translate slightly differently. I think
non-profit organizations are likely to use "Board of Trustees" whereas
for-profit corporations use "Board of Directors".

My two cents. Thanks,
Lena