[Translators-l] How should I translate "the Board"?

mathieu stumpf guntz psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Thu Jan 26 14:47:15 UTC 2017

Le 26/01/2017 à 12:02, Vi to a écrit :
> For Italian I use "board" and "membro del board/componente del board
> [board member]".
I strongly disagree with such a practice. To my mind it might give the
feeling that only English can be used when it comes to talk about the
most formal part of our movement. That is, crossing the line between
English as a practical tool of international communication and English
as a tool of imperialism destroying language diversity.

I hope no-one will wrongly interpret me here. I have no problem with
loanwords for a concept which is specific, for example "shérif" is fine.
And if it would happen that "trustee" is as specific as is "sheriff", I
wouldn't mind a loanword.

But in the case of "board", there is certainly no lake of equivalent
whether in French, or in Italian as far as I know. To my mind, this is
unnecessarily opaque term for non-English speakers that we should avoid
while we are in outreach activity. Sure when we are "between us" it's
less problematic regarding cross-comprehension directly involved
locutors. But it creates bad habits we will likely reproduce when new
comers are around, which is problematic in regards to our openness
commitment.

Pedantically,
mathieu