[Translators-l] What do you understand in this utterance: "Information on the movement strategy architect team"

mathieu stumpf guntz psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Thu Jan 26 08:14:52 UTC 2017

Le 25/01/2017 à 18:02, Guillaume Paumier a écrit :
> Hi,

>> Well, I have a similar difficulty to interpret this message: "2016 Wikimedia
>> Foundation Leadership Team Retreat"
> In this case, it's "a retreat of the leadership team of the Wikimedia
> Foundation that happened in 2016". The "leadership team" usually means
> the C-level staff.
Thank you Guillaume, that it far more clear to my mind and should be far
enough for translating the string. :)

Now, admittedly  I have no idea what's a C-level staff might be. But it
looks like there are some pages matching the string on meta so I might
have a look at it later. However it seems there is no match for A-level,
B-lever, D-level, or Z-level, let alone Ω-level. ^^

>> I would be curious to know if other translators feel sometime blocked when
>> they meet such a long juxtaposed words and if they have some tricks to get
>> around this difficulty.
>>
>> Also is there somewhere where we could feedback a need for formulation using
>> more prepositions in official documents published by WMF? I don't know if it
>> would feel more "pedantic" or "uncommon" for most English natives, but
>> surely it might help – at least me – in translation.
> I've added a note to
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/Manual#Guidelines because
> that's the only place I know that includes that kind of
> recommendations. Feel free to add it to other places.
Great, thank you for that too. I added your sentence and a link to this
manual in
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Writing_clearly#Writing_for_translation