[Translators-l] We want to hear from you about the roles of tech ambassadors and tech translators!

Erica Litrenta elitrenta at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 7 19:16:37 UTC 2017

(*A translated version of this message may be available at Meta.*
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Technical_Collaboration/Community_collaboration_in_product_development/Tech_ambassadors_and_translators>
)

Greetings everyone,

Wikimedia Foundation’s community liaisons
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Liaisons> want to continue
improving the collaboration between WMF software development teams and our
communities. We want to include more and more diverse people to work
together in friendly environments. For this goal, tech ambassadors and tech
translators play a crucial role. How can we support them (you!) better?

We would like to strengthen the roles of tech ambassadors and tech
translators. Make these roles more visible to new potential volunteers,
more enjoyable to contribute to, and more recognized across the Wikimedia
movement.

For this reason, we are calling current and prospective contributors to
help us define not only a solid definition of the roles, but also related
metrics that we will adopt as part of our Key Performance Indicators. We
will also explore pain points and opportunities for improvement in the
workflow of these roles. This activity has already started with a review of
Tech News as a way to effectively disseminate technical information, and
will continue with a review of other major product newsletters, among other
things.

We are sharing a draft of role definitions and KPIs. Of course, the end
result might be much different, depending on your input!

The *feedback period goes from** Tuesday, August 8th to the 22nd**.* (Rest
assured that even if we may not be able to reply to each message, we will
read and consider all of them.)

You have the opportunity to share your thoughts in the following ways:

   -

   *Online*, in the 2 megathreads at https://meta.wikimedia.org/
   wiki/Talk:Technical_Collaboration/Community_collaboration_in_product_
   development/Tech_ambassadors_and_translators
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Technical_Collaboration/Community_collaboration_in_product_development/Tech_ambassadors_and_translators>
   ;
   -

   *Online*, by replying privately (not to the list, please!) to this
   message;
   -

   *In person* at Wikimania this week, by meeting us on Saturday 12,
   3-3:45pm, in Salon 2, level 2 of the venue for a focused chat. Please
   help us spread the word, as this meeting is not featured on the Programme!
   (maybe retweet this
   <https://twitter.com/Elitre/status/893510196726837248>?);
   -

   *In person*, by meeting us at the Community Engagement table
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TP4_xzlxDm6rjNoDQNxEVZV62lefmuHaK8I-BnU0UIo/edit#gid=942980248>
   (#1 in map
   <https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Village#Location>)
   in Wikimania’s Community Village.

If you're already onboard with being more involved, testing new features,
giving or gathering feedback on more complicated issues, and generally
being your community's hero, just sign up instead in the tables:

*active tech ambassadors
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Ambassadors/List> - active tech
translators <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Translators/List> .*

We are looking forward to seeing where this will lead all of us!

Elitre,

Senior Community Liaison

Technical Collaboration team

PS: I'm about to jump on planes to Montreal: I plan to spread the word
about the initiative above
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Technical_Collaboration/Community_collaboration_in_product_development/Tech_ambassadors_and_translators>
in other venues (such as specific pages on Meta) soon.

Mail
priva di virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>