[Translators-l] A humble request for translation related to the Wikipedia.org portal

Nick Wilson (Quiddity) nwilson at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 11 20:15:02 UTC 2016

Hi Philippe,

Sorry if I've tried to resolve this incorrectly.

I think I might have caused confusion, by using the example links with
the "?uselang=it/de" string added to the end. I did that purely to
demonstrate that the strings were already translated. The standard
page will indeed display those strings in French, as you note, if the
user's UI language is set to French.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:CKoerner_(WMF)/Wikipedia.org_updated_page_layout_invite/fr

Generally, I believe the purpose of including those strings in any
message, is for the benefit of all the languages which do ''not'' get
translated at mediawiki or meta. E.g. if there isn't a [foo-language]
translation, but the message is delivered to the [foo-language]
Village Pump, then local editors will at least see the "please
translate" message in their own language, and thus they will be able
to potentially find a local editor to translate the full message.

One alternative general solution, might be to remove the
{{Int:Please-translate}} and {{Int:Feedback-thanks-title}} strings
from the translatable page, whilst translation is ongoing, and then
simply add them back in before sending the message to any village
pumps.
Does that sound preferable to everyone, as a best practice for the future?

Thanks for the suggestion about fixing the fullstop and space.
Nick / Quiddity

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Community Liaison, WMF