[Translators-l] Ready for translation: Tech news summary #23, distributed tomorrow

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 10 22:06:27 UTC 2013

In other words, it's high time to realize that L10n/I18n is a full needed
part of the development cycle, and it does not just consist in translating
a few strings in the last few hours before release. It will be already too
late to effectively test the correct localization.

Developers in MediaWiki tend to think that this is a minor issue, this is a
severe error ! If we need quality translations and better usability for all
users, ALL developers should include L10n/I18n in their own cycle (we've
got already problems providing workable translations because developers
ignored the basic grammatical requirements, or layout requirements for
their UI, or because they assumed wrong things about what other languages
and scripts really need).

Not all L10n may be solved immediately before release, but the difficulties
requiring further developments should be scheduled so that it will orient
correctly further developments. Note that quality translations also require
that the new developments are testable somewhere. This is necessay to
ensure that the terminologoies will match with the rest of the interface.
This includes as well the help/documentation pages to prepare and that will
be advertized by the new features.