[Translators-l] Ready for translation: Tech news summary #23, distributed tomorrow

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 10 19:31:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Yusuke Matsubara <whym at whym.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't make sense to give a bit more time for translation?  In
> general, because the time zone difference can get in the way, the
> one-day deadline may not be really workable for people in some parts
> of the world.

It's a difficult choice to make. On the one hand, we would ideally
want as many translations as possible, so a week of lead time would be
better in this regard. On the other hand, most of the content of the
tech newsletter becomes outdated very quickly, and would be mostly
useless if sent a week later.

I'm open to suggestions about how to facilitate translations while
sending information to subscribers before it becomes outdated.

One possibility that I'll try to adhere to as often as possible is to
have a very predictable schedule, meaning for example that the
deadline for having the newsletter ready for translation should be
very strict. That way, translators would know that every week, there
will be a window of 24 hours for translation, and the window will
always be the same each week. I think more predictability would help
facilitate translations.

Another possibility would be to add a note in the delivered version of
the newsletter, to highlight the fact that more translations may be
available later.

If you have other ideas, I'll gladly hear them.

--
Guillaume Paumier