[Translators-l] 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 29 19:46:52 UTC 2012

Among the changes I made there was also the replacement of "editors"
incorrectly translated as "éditeurs" in French. Because an "éditeur"
is the person or organization that publishes the work made by authors.
When authors are collective and redacting on the same work ("œuvre")
that will be published by the same "éditeur", they are called
"rédacteurs" (this may include those that contribute images, not just
texts, and page layout, and the work performed by correctors).

In the live interface of Wikimedia, the action "edit" is NEVER
translated in French as "éditer" (even if this is frequently used, due
to the other meaning of the term "editor" to designate the tool used
to make the redaction and correction work), but as "modifier". I
avoided anyway the term "modificateur" because it is too restrictive
and removes the act of creation.

I think that in the spirit of the project, "rédacteur" (and the
associated verb "rédiger") is more respectuous of the work performed
on the project for which the survey is created. Som may think that the
act of discussing in talk page is different, it is still a
contribution, which is redacted (= working on a written piece of work,
not exactly like the term "redact" used in English that means more the
action of modifying the work made by someone else, including
corrections) as well.

I tried to use a consistant terminology as well. I fixed also the
punctuation. And there shoul not longer be any
syntax/grammar/orthograph errors.

Please review if you don't agree with some choices, but try to be
consistant. Thanks.