[Translators-l] disabling the fundraising banners in an emergency

Eleri James elerijms at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 23:49:17 UTC 2012

Nemo 16/11/2012 11:16
In the meanwhile, to avoid a revolt on it.wiki against the fundraising team, I'll disable the banner in Italian.

Eleri James, 16/11/2012 14:42:

> I am surprised that you can disable the fundraising banners in Italian -
> can you explain how you can do this and we cannot do this on our wiki.

Nemo: 16 November 2012, 14:20
You can't. Meta-Wiki administrators are technically able to
 but they can
only for obvious emergencies.

New comment:
This is news to me, and I'm sure to lots of other translators. As you are aware, two other emergencies have been reported on the translators-l list, on Japanese and Sorbian. Both appear to me to fall within your definition of emergency (=likely to cause a revolt against the fundraising team). Could they have requested that the fundraising banners were temporarily removed, and if so how?

I have drafted an addition to the FAQs about this, so that in theory everyone has the possibility of knowing that this emergency suspension of the fundraiser exists. Unfortunately, the fundraiser translators' FAQ is not easy to find, but it's better than nothing. See https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2012/Translation/Translators_FAQ#Can_I_request_that_the_fundraiser_is_removed_from_my_wiki.3F

Eleri James