[Translators-l] SVG translation: qqq useful?

Michael Wolf milupo at sorbzilla.de
Fri Jun 22 13:44:28 UTC 2012

Harry Burt schrieb:
> Hey all.
>
> As many of you already know, this summer I'm working on a project to
> enable SVG translation via a layer on top of the Translate extension.
>
> This is my proposed translation page [1]. Imagine the "message
> definition" box in fact reads "Quantity of butter produced" and the
> thumbnail image displays "Lorem ipsum dolor amet" where "Quantity of
> butter produced" is displayed at the moment.
>
> As you will notice, there is no space devoted to displaying
> qqq-message-documentation; I removed it on the grounds that it
> clutters the interface, for minimal benefit (you can see a thumbnail
> of the image which would include the message definition string, and I
> could have the image zoom when you click on it too, perhaps, in case
> it was a detailed map or whatever).
>
> Nevertheless, I am not a translator, so I'm interested in what real
> translators think :)

Hello Harry,

I don#t know if translation by SVG is really the right way. But as
translator I say that a qqq-text (help text) for translation is
indispensable. You must consider that there may be a lot of strings
containing variables/parameters where a translator must know the context
the string is used in.

Regards,

Michael