[Translators-l] Two requests in preparation for the upcoming deployment of MediaWiki 1.19

Michael Wolf milupo at sorbzilla.de
Mon Feb 13 21:24:28 UTC 2012

Philippe Verdy napisa:
> Final note to admins, I have tried to check the existing translations,
> to assert that they don't say something completely different (possibly
> offensive), or that the essential meaning is present (notably the
> differences of time, between the 1st sentence of  the 1st item and the
> 1st sentence of 2nd item).
>
> However, the matters of prefered language style, choice of "best"
> vocabulary, or of a more exact meaning matching the English source,
> cannot be asserted. This is just a superficial verification, based on
> dictionnaries. But I cannot use those dictionnaries to provide any
> translations for most languages.
>
> Such verification is necessary before putting such notices that will
> be displayed boldly online, on all pages of the concerned wiki
> projects displaying them to all visitors.
>
> But I have not checked all (notably not those that are marked as
> "proofreading", "complete/ready", or "published". Did you verify them
> using some external tools translating them back to English ?

Strange, if you do not rely upon translators why don't you make a
machine translation, by Google Translator and check those translations
using dictionaries? Do you really think that anybody who translates does
that although he knows that he does not have the necessary language
knowledge?

Michael alias Michawiki