[Translators-l] Translations wanted for January 2012 Wikimedia Highlights

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 13 14:28:55 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tilman Bayer, 11/02/2012 05:56:
>
>> As in recent months, it is planned to announce the translations (i.e.
>> those which have been completed at that point) on the general
>> Wikimedia announcements list Wikimediaannounce-l, on Wednesday
>> February 15. We have also started to post them as language-targeted
>> updates of the official Wikipedia Facebook account, which reaches a
>> large audience.
>

> A large audience in all languages?
It was mostly a reference to the number of Fans ("likes") of
http://www.facebook.com/wikipedia, currently 963,477. At the moment,
the page's "Weekly Total Reach" is at 291,205 (defined by FB as "The
number of unique people who have seen any content associated with your
Page from 2/3/12 to 2/9/12. This includes Ads and Sponsored Stories
that point to your Page"), down from 1,534,448 during the week of the
SOPA blackout.

Yes, cf. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=180817924821

> Sounds awkward.
Why?

Note that we are just starting post these targeted updates there. I
might still tweak the approach (for example, also do country-targeted
updates, to reach Facebook users who have set their language to
English instead of their native language), and will evaluate the
impact on readership later.

--
Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications