[Translators-l] Translations wanted for January 2012 Wikimedia Highlights

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 16 00:02:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tilman Bayer, 11/02/2012 05:56:
>
>> As in recent months, it is planned to announce the translations (i.e.
>> those which have been completed at that point) on the general
>> Wikimedia announcements list Wikimediaannounce-l, on Wednesday
>> February 15. We have also started to post them as language-targeted
>> updates of the official Wikipedia Facebook account, which reaches a
>> large audience.
>

> Now that we have regular updates, it would be nice to restore the automatic
> sync over all wikis of
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Information_thread> (or whatever
> was the title we used, in user space IIRC)
Interesting remark, thanks! Looking over
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Main_Page/WM_News&action=history
, it seems that that space has never been used to announce regular
reports or newsletters (pages such as
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports are used for that). But I'm
open to posting the Wikimedia Highlights there if there are no
objections.

> so that information can be
> transcluded in the most prominent noticeboard of all wikis,
I wasn't aware that such an automatic sync mechanism had existed
before. Do you have a link explaining how it worked? (I guess it was
something like https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pathoschild/Scripts/Synchbot
, but for project pages instead of user pages?)

> to avoid
> spamming  village pumps and reach people who don't have time for village
> pumps.
Just to clarify, there have so far been no systematic efforts to
distribute the Wikimedia Highlights via village pumps, although some
users may have posted a translated version on the village pump of a
project in that language. Personally don't see a huge problem with
that (and I might in fact announce the English original on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum in the future).

> This is how most readers of such bullettins are reached, in my
> experience with WMIT bullettin.
I would be interested to learn more about the distribution of the WMIT
bulletin (http://wikimedia.it/index.php/Wikimedia_news , I assume). In
my experience with the Signpost, a large part of its readers are
subscribers who have signed up to receive talk page notifications. We
actually set up a similar service for the Highlights
(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Highlights ), although it
has yet to be promoted widely and we need to figure out how to
integrate the translations.

Such broadcasting mechanisms are a complicated but very important
topic, and I would be happy to discuss it further, but this list is
probably not the right venue.

> Nemo

Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications