[Translators-l] TOU notice

James Alexander jalexander at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 26 20:53:57 UTC 2012

I can completely undertand that. It certainly may be possible that the best
way to do it will have to be translating, as a whole, the full html message
but that would be the only other real option (we can't do wikified text).
Historically this has caused an awful lot of problems as well because
translators would translate or change things they shouldn't (for example
moving the link to the wrong word, translating pieces of the url that won't
go anywhere or sending it to a "language" page that doesn't exist). We also
end up with a large chunk of latin (url etc) and non-latin (everything
else) characters to copy/paste into the CN interface at once which I've
found to be very cumbersome and prone to errors. That said we're always
going to have tradeoffs and want to find the way to make it the easiest and
most usable for all sides (from translators to readers to those wanting
translations)

James

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Siebrand Mazeland <s.mazeland at xs4all.nl>wrote:

> Op 26 apr. 2012 om 22:08 heeft KIZU Naoko <aphaia at gmail.com> het volgende
> geschreven:
>
> > re: word order
> >
> >> Snip
> >
> > Even it looks awkward and unsophisticated, for assuring better
> > internationalization, it would have better to put the whole wikified
> > message into one sole MediaWiki message, since the grammatical word
> > order, say, syntax, is widely varied among different natural
> > languages.
>
> Indeed. Patchwork messages[1] are highly discouraged in software
> localisation, and in these types of text probably even more so. Every time
> it is used, at least one sad kitten dies[2].
>
> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/I18n#Avoid_patchwork_messages
> [2] <
> http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKPilEx4C8HN2qUPq9Iorv1rMV_oqE8gsfxiiz0TOtOXgfL_EHng
> >

> --