[Translators-l] (Limited) translations around the next deployments of MediaWiki

Gergő Tisza gtisza at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 14:42:40 UTC 2012

Guillaume Paumier <gpaumier <at> wikimedia.org> writes:

> Would it be possible to use {{GRAMMAR}} for languages with such rules?

Not impossible, but limited in what it could handle (at least for Hungarian - I
don't know how many other languages are in a similar situation). I have some
half-baked PHP code for Hungarian inflection rules, but they can't handle a
word ending with a number (wouldn't be hard to include as a special case,
though), or foreign words (as choosing the right suffix depends on the
pronunciation of the word). I wouldn't be comfortable using such automatic
language processing if I had no idea what the parameter will be.

Also, sysadmins used to scoff at magic functions in frequently displayed
templates - you need to load more code because of them or something. I'm not
sure if that still holds, and whether central notices are special. Anyway, when
setting up the translation, it is usually a big help if you explain what values
a parameter will take (there is a pseudo-language "qqq" for that).