[Translators-l] About guideline

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Fri Oct 8 19:58:09 UTC 2010

2010/10/8 SongJason <songchuning at hotmail.com>:
> I am Jason and I am translating Wiki-guideline into Chinese. I have
> translated to page 7, there are directions according to the Wiki-homepage in
> English. and I suddenly have an idea: What if we capture various home page
> according to each language? I consider that may be easier for those who
> don't understand English to understand instructions. But I don't know how to
> make picture inclined like the original version of the guideline do. What do
> you say? Will you offer assistence? Thank you!

I think localizations like this (as opposed to just translations) are
welcomed by the Outreach team.  You should probably feel free to tweak
the "Wiki Guidelines" so it makes sense for Chinese projects.  The
Hungarian version did that too:
<http://outreach.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Welcome2WP_Hung.pdf&page=7>

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Kong Soon Lim
<lim_kongsoon at yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> I think Jason pointed out a good idea. It is certainly more engaging if the
> video is done using different languages instead of only English.

I think Jason was referring to the Bookshelf "Welcome to Wikipedia"
guide, not a video.  See: <http://bookshelf.wikimedia.org/>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023