[Translators-l] [Fwd: WMF wiki updates]

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 23:58:21 UTC 2008

2008/4/29 Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com>:
>  Hmm, I think we could manage it if we changed our {{***Lang}}
>  templates a little bit.  See for example what we do with Wikimania
>  2008 wiki: <http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page> (try
>  clicking on the different language links and see what happens to the
>  interface).

The problem with that is that unless you encode all links with
&uselang=XX, the interface will "jump" back to default (English) after
just one click. It could be argued that that effect is disorienting,
confusing and unexpected (there is no clear way to understand "what
you did" to make the localised text disappear, nor "how to get it
back").

So, IMO that is a very poor hack that is no substitute for a proper
solution. (We tried to confront this problem at Commons. :) No good
solution yet. More tech is needed.)

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/