[Translators-l] [Fwd: WMF wiki updates]

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 23:24:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:53 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Nope, because we don't translate sidebar elements on the Wikimedia
>  >  Foundation wiki (we probably should.... but that's for another day ;-)
>  >  ).
>
>  Since only registered users can be benefitted by localized interface
>  messages (there are ways to sneak it but we haven't implemented it).
>  And a i18n related MediaWiki extention was not on that site (you
>  remember Brion rejected). So translation is nice but interface
>  translation is no matter of us currently (sigh). We need to hack it
>  later.

Hmm, I think we could manage it if we changed our {{***Lang}}
templates a little bit.  See for example what we do with Wikimania
2008 wiki: <http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page> (try
clicking on the different language links and see what happens to the
interface).

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023