[Translators-l] Scholarships for Wikimania

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 19:45:49 UTC 2006

> From: Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Translators-l] [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Privacy Policy:
> Update to account for CheckUser access
>
> > And thank you for your comment on scholarships. Such clarification will be helpful.
> >
> > As a team whose member are of diverse nations and languages,  we have
> > no difficulties principally application in major languages though,
> > admittedly English is our working language, and I am not sure for now
> > that we are okay for all languages. Perhaps you would like to have a
> > full list of languages an application in which are recommended?
>
> Partially yes, partially no.
>
> I thought, as a translator, if an application were limited in English,
> our task would be very limited and easy to complete.

Applications are welcome in English, French, Spanish, Chinese, and
Japanese (which are 5 core languages for the conference).  Of course
if such languages come in, translators will be asked to help parse the
application as well.

> Turned out that's not, I say, we have a little bit much task. Just a
> little bit, something like "how many characters would be in Japanese
> for 200 English words" or "should we put a notice saying that a
> Japanese who has a machine readable passport does not need a visa for
> short stay in the US?" or so ... :)

Yes to both; there are a few cases where thought is required.
Thanks for your questions!

++SJ