[Mediawiki-i18n] mdot webroot redirects on Wikipedia Zero

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Wed Nov 26 01:23:15 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-25 13:27, Adam Baso wrote:
> Federico, you're right - www.wikipedia.org/ <http://www.wikipedia.org/>
> gets a lot more traffic than m.wikipedia.org/ <http://m.wikipedia.org/>;
> www.wikipedia.org/ <http://www.wikipedia.org/> skews more toward
> English, for several reasons, but it still seems like wiring up a
> JavaScript widget to talk to an API that examines the Accept-Languages,
> or something like that, might be useful for multilingual users and users
> not reading a language listed toward the top of the page. I'm currently
> pretty busy, but we could maybe at least ask Mxn (if not on this list)
> what Mxn thinks, as Mxn has been pretty involved with the global
> Wikipedia portal template.

The portals currently use navigator.languages/.language/.userLanguage to
have the search box default to the first Accept-Language language. I
would certainly be open to having the portal react more noticeably to
this value, for instance by dynamically placing it in the top 10 ring,
displacing one of the larger wikis. Any change in behavior is going to
need approval from the Meta community at least, but that shouldn't stop
us from trying.

If OTOH the suggestion is to immediately redirect to the indicated
language edition, I'd want to see statistics on the percentage of
Wikipedia visitors whose Accept-Language or UI language actually matches
their home wiki. I suspect that many just leave it set to their
operating system language, which doesn't necessarily match their
favorite wiki. It's one thing for mdot to redirect, because mobile users
would be less interested in a landing page with tiny links. But if the
main portal redirects, we'll quickly get flak for being too [insert
language]-centric.

> Should I BCC Mxn on this thread, or email Mxn
> off-thread? Mxn tries to avoid spam from what I can tell on Mxn's
> personal website.

My resistance has been futile so far. :-\

--
Minh Nguyen <mxn at 1ec5.org>
[[User:Mxn]]