[Mediawiki-i18n] [WikimediaMobile] mdot webroot redirects on Wikipedia Zero

Adam Baso abaso at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 26 19:41:31 UTC 2014

Minh, thanks for the awesome feedback! Response inline.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Minh Nguyen <mxn at 1ec5.org> wrote:

> On 2014-11-25 13:27, Adam Baso wrote:
>
>> Federico, you're right - www.wikipedia.org/ <http://www.wikipedia.org/>
>> gets a lot more traffic than m.wikipedia.org/ <http://m.wikipedia.org/>;
>> www.wikipedia.org/ <http://www.wikipedia.org/> skews more toward
>> English, for several reasons, but it still seems like wiring up a
>> JavaScript widget to talk to an API that examines the Accept-Languages,
>> or something like that, might be useful for multilingual users and users
>> not reading a language listed toward the top of the page. I'm currently
>> pretty busy, but we could maybe at least ask Mxn (if not on this list)
>> what Mxn thinks, as Mxn has been pretty involved with the global
>> Wikipedia portal template.
>>

> The portals currently use navigator.languages/.language/.userLanguage to
> have the search box default to the first Accept-Language language. I would
> certainly be open to having the portal react more noticeably to this value,
> for instance by dynamically placing it in the top 10 ring, displacing one
> of the larger wikis. Any change in behavior is going to need approval from
> the Meta community at least, but that shouldn't stop us from trying.

Yeah, I really like that feature on the search box.

I also like your idea about dynamically updating a lang in the top 10 ring.
If a dynamic update to the ring isn't okay, I wonder if people would be
okay with shimming in the .language/.userLanguage-mapped language
(.languages-mapped languages) between the top 10 langs and the search box,
for any language not already in the top 10?

Agreed. The suggestion isn't immediate redirect on www.wikipedia.org.

>  Should I BCC Mxn on this thread, or email Mxn
>> off-thread? Mxn tries to avoid spam from what I can tell on Mxn's
>> personal website.
>>

> My resistance has been futile so far. :-\

Me too :)