[Mediawiki-i18n] Language Converter at wikimania

C. Scott Ananian cananian at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 3 17:02:08 UTC 2014

The LanguageConverter is a poorly-understood part of mediawiki among
mediawiki engineers.

Is there any chance that we could organize a set of presentations or
talks by the various communities who use it, in order to lay the
ground work for an informed discussion of its future and/or
replacement?

In particular, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedias_in_Multi-writing_System
lists 30-40 different wikis who either are using LanguageConverter
functionality or who would like to use it.  I have a reasonable grasp
on the linguistic background of (generously speaking) 4 of them.  How
can we better understand the issues and communities involved?

Perhaps something could be arranged at Wikimania this year?  Do we
know if a decent cross-section of variant-using wiki users will be
present?
  --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)